GMDS AND SENATOR FEINSTEIN, CONTACT # Dear Edward, Many thanks, - olgalazin@gmail.com - Gmail

SENATOAREA FEINSTEIN:

FROM: Dr Olga M. Lazin-Andrei
http://www.olgalazin.com


Dear Dr. Lazin:                      FROM: ELopez@westwood.edu

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding proposals to increase U.S. missile defense capabilities.  I appreciate the time you took to write, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

I understand that have concerns regarding the Department of Defense's fiscal year (FY) 2015 request for increased funding for the Ground-Based Midcourse Defense (GMD) system, including Ground-Based Interceptors (GBIs).  As you may know, the GBIs are designed to intercept and destroy incoming warheads aimed at the United States.  There are currently two sites that house GBIs in the United States; Vandenberg Air Force Base (AFB) in California and Fort Greely in Alaska.  The Defense Department's FY2015 Budget Request includes $8.5 billion for all missile defense programs, including $7.5 billion for the Missile Defense Agency.  Additionally, the Department has requested funding to expand the number of GBIs from 30 to 44 by 2017.
Though many recent tests of the GMD system have failed, on June 22, 2014, the U.S. Northern Command and the U.S. Navy successfully completed an integrated exercise of the GBI at Vandenberg AFB.  During the test, a long-range GBI launched from Vandenberg AFB intercepted a ballistic missile target launched from the U.S. Army's test site in the Republic of the Marshall Islands.  According to the Department of Defense, this test is critical to improving and increasing the reliability of the GMD system.



Please know that I share your concerns regarding the size of U.S. and Russian nuclear arsenals.  I believe that the United States should take a leadership role in stopping the proliferation of nuclear weapons and reducing our own nuclear weapons stockpile.  This is why I supported the new Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty between the U.S. and Russia, which will reduce the number of operationally deployed nuclear warheads in both countries.  Given the incredibly destructive power of nuclear weapons, I can think of no more pressing matter to the security of Americans and people worldwide.



I stand ready to work with President Obama to achieve our mutual goal of reducing and eventually eliminating nuclear weapons.  As a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, which has jurisdiction over defense spending, and as Chairman of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Energy and Water, which has focused jurisdiction over funding for nuclear weapons, please know that I have made careful note of your preferences, and I will keep them in mind as the Senate discusses and debates funding for nuclear weapons and missile defense.



Once again, thank you for writing, and I hope that you will continue to keep me informed about issues of importance to you. Should you have any further comments or questions, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841, or visit my website at www.feinstein.senate.gov. Best regards.


Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
         United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the nation are available at my website, feinstein.senate.gov.  And please visit my YouTube, Facebook and Twitter for more ways to communicate with me.
Dear Edward, 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AMAZON HOW TO MANUAL, Selling on AMAZON.com; MIHAI ALISIE THE INVENTOR OF THE BITCOIN

ADVANCED WELLNESS: 14.70$ Your Quote Summary

What is the Difference between L-Threonine and L-Theanine?